Monday, March 7, 2011

The Holy Spirit is Active!


These days I have an unquenchable desire for more of God.  I want to hear Him more and serve Him more.  I want Him to speak to me personally, and He is.  As I seek Him more, He whispers words and messages to me more vividly than ever.  Why does that surprise me?  It’s what He promises – “Come near to God and he will come near to you.” James 4:8

One of the most powerful ways that He is speaking to me is through my pastor’s sermons on Sunday mornings.  These have always been wellsprings of truth for me as the Word of God is taught so thoroughly and passionately.  These days the messages are louder on Sunday mornings, but there is more there too.  As I come to worship and study the Bible, God is personally bombarding me with messages from Him.  The core intended messages of the sermons are vivid and resounding in their own rite, but there are hidden messages that come at me like fireworks, one after the other.  The Holy Spirit is active!

I’m reminded of the immutability of God – I can trust Him and His plan fully, no matter how my circumstances might change; He will not.  I hear the echo of a word spoken by a nurse as she shared her experience of God’s faithfulness in her life – righteousness.  I must choose righteousness always!  After hearing her story, I was faced with a simple yet clear choice in making the right decision.  Should I run a yellow light?  When I chose righteousness, the car I was driving (Mark’s) was hit from behind, rear-ended at a stoplight just outside the hospital where my husband recovered.  The amazing thing that occurred at that moment was in my heart – an indescribable joy and peace that surpassed understanding.  (Not my normal/natural reaction in such circumstances.) Again His promises are ringing true – “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3

This barrage of truth and encouragement from the Holy Spirit is too constant to fully communicate and happens everywhere. It is at it’s best, however, when I’m communing with God and His people in His house of worship.  But that’s also what He promises to us, isn’t it?  And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25

Thank you God for my Bible-focused pastor, the body of believers that surround us, your amazing promises, and how they are coming true in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment