Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Refining the Soul


I’m an avoider, mostly when it involves risk or danger.  I avoided the big roller coasters. I stayed back to man our department when others filled in for the flight attendants that went on strike. I maxed out my retirement savings to be sure I wouldn’t have financial pain in my senior years. I built my emergency fund to avoid unexpected risk.  I installed an alarm system in our home.  I think I would have dressed my toddlers in rubber clothing when they were learning how to walk just to avoid all the bruises and knots on their foreheads if they wouldn’t have looked like the Michelin Man.  I avoid the immediate pain of regular exercise even when my head says that would be best in the long-term.  The Book of Proverbs is an instruction manual on avoiding danger and learning before we live; watching the world and people around us to live wisely and often times avoid risk.  Avoiding risk is wise but only if it is truly Biblical risk aversion.  Sometimes my risk aversion borders on faithlessness, lack of courage, laziness or lack of commitment. 

As I look backwards over the last several months, I see God refining my soul - working in my life to deepen my faith, commitment and steadfast pursuit of Him in all that I do.  Times when I felt completely vulnerable, unable to protect my husband, unable to control our circumstances, God is building my character and preparing me for times when the immediate pain may be unavoidable yet His ultimate plan will always result in blessing. How will I respond?  Will I choose God’s plan and point others to Him or will I allow the enemy to infiltrate the circumstances?  God promises He will demonstrate His power through our weakness. “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”  2 Corinthians 12:9 Will I let Him use me?

I heard a sermon by Tony Evans yesterday where he reminded me of Jacob.  Before God changed his name to Israel, Jacob wrestled with God. Jacob was vulnerable, facing danger and struggling.  Jacob was being refined.  This was God’s way of building Jacob’s character to the point where Jacob was finally ready to receive God’s blessing.  ”Then the man said, ‘Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.’” Genesis 32:28

This morning another reminder came in an online devotion.  The disciples especially Peter, wanted Jesus’s last minute rescue to come by force, Peter was prepared to fight evil in the traditional way and hacked off the guard’s ear.  When the disciples realized they could no longer expect a last minute traditional rescue from the invisible world, they fled – they were avoiders too, just like me.  How would I respond if my life were threatened because I was a follower of Christ?  Would I flee or would I stand firm for Christ?  God has made our ultimate fate clear:  “Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.” Revelation 20:6

Lord, thank you for Your promised power and blessing in my life not just in eternity but in everyday and every struggle I face.  You are refining my character too just like you wrestled with Jacob.  I will choose to follow You courageously. I will hold fast to Your commandments and seek to obey them in all that I do. I will listen for the Holy Spirit’s voice in my life and respond to His prodding. I will call upon you for power in my weakness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment