Friday, November 19, 2010

Lessons from Hosea


Below is a journal entry I wrote on September 22, approximately a month before my husband was diagnosed with cancer:

A friend of mine recommended a book to me several months ago; a love story.  Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, a story based on the book of Hosea.  What an amazing testimony this author has!  It begins with a rather disturbing story of a very young girl.  I’ll endure but must stop to read the book of Hosea to know what God’s inspired words are.

So I read the book of Hosea and focused on the story of Hosea and Gomer.  There’s not a lot of detail but a lot about God’s relationship with the nation of Israel.  What a great day of personal Bible study.  While reading (online with my new computer) a large hawk landed on the patio fence. BREATHTAKING!  I think God is reminding me of his presence through these wild animals.

As I read, I wrote down these thoughts and prayers:
  • Am I like Israel, worshipping something besides God (home, my family, security, financial security) or like a “prostitute” toward God, seeking provision from something other than God?
  • Satan’s attempts come in the form of a telemarketing call to distract.  (Thank you caller ID!)  Take THAT Satan!
  • Am I a traitor to God like “Benedict Arnold” (My son had asked about him after school a few days before, and we googled him to get the accurate “low-down” instead of relying on my poor history knowledge.)
  • I profess to be His but don’t trust His provision.  I worry about our “financial plans” and think it is within my control.  Lord, help me to trust you more, show me how I am to serve you most.  Thank you for my praying husband who leads me in so many ways but mostly spiritually!
  • Hosea 13:15b “His storehouse will be plundered of all its treasures” (Reminds me of my grandparents’ garage that burned filled with boxes of “treasures” stored for years.) Lord, help me not to trust in the material treasures of this world.
  • Hosea 14:5 “Like a cedar of Lebanon, he will send down his roots.”  (I love those trees; I want to plant one of these in my yard!)  God, send down your strong roots in me!
  • Hosea 14:8 “Your fruitfulness comes from me.”  Work in me Lord!

That day I prayed more fervently than I have in a long time.  God, use me however you need me to serve you.  I can endure whatever you send my way because I know that I am yours.  I asked Him to strengthen my faith.  I felt like I was jumping off a building.  He is answering my prayer!

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite books! Such a picture of God's unconditional love.
    Praying for you all~

    ReplyDelete